Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Movie Reviews

We did watch a few movies last weekend. Here are my reviews:

Love in the Time of Cholera:
Bleh. I didn’t like this movie at all. Let me explain further. I’m not a big fan of period films, especially if they are romance movies. But this one was available “now” on Netflix so it was shipped. It stars only two people (Benjamin Bratt and Javier Bardem) I’ve even heard of but I liked the acting all the way around. I just didn’t like the story or maybe it’s said better as I didn’t think the story deserved 2+ hours to be told. It’s about a man (Bardem), who meets a beautiful young girl (Givanna Mezzogiomo). She rejects him and ends up married to another man (Bratt). It goes on from there showing how they each lived their lives separately. Blah, super boring for me. Sorry to the romance fans out there. This just didn’t do it for me.
1 out of 5

Across The Universe:
I didn’t think I was going to like this movie. I thought, “A Musical? I won’t like this.” But I really did like it! After listening to the American Idol contestants rape and brutalize the Beatles songs, it was nice to herar some great renditions of these classics. I recognized a few names, Evan Rachel Woods for one. I was like, “That girl from ‘Thirteen’ can sing?” But YES, yes, she can! It’s about a boy from Liverpool who comes to America during the 60’s and meets this girl (Woods) and they sing their way through Draft Notices, Anti-War protests, first loves, etc. The songs are sung very well by some very talented people.
3 out of 5

No comments: